Leading Essex House Extensions Company
Do you need additional living space in your home? Whether you’re looking for a striking new kitchen diner, a spacious living room or have any other dream vision for your home, Bigger Homes will design, plan and build whatever extension and additional space you and your family need.
Our house extensions Essex solutions are a great way of getting the additional space you need. Many homeowners overlook the potential in their existing accommodation and opt instead to move home. But with the costs and upheaval involved in moving, you’ll find house extensions to be a stress-free and more affordable alternative. The best part is that a house extension will also add tremendous value to your property. If this win-win scenario sounds like something you’re interested in, our team of house extension builders are experts in providing you with the extra space you deserve.
House Extension Considerations
The main things to consider with a home extension are:
- Local planning guidelines
- What you want to achieve from the space
- The position and impact of the extension
- Accessing the new rooms
As specialists with years of experience in creating beautiful house extensions in Essex, we can be involved from the start to the finish of your project. This includes:
- Design work
- Planning approvals
- Building control
- Completion and aftercare
- Full guarantee of the work
Working With Our House Extension Builder Team in Essex
Our house extension team will work together with you to create the perfect extension for your home. It is our desire to make the project exciting and entirely stress-free, which we achieve through the professionalism and experience of our project management team. By removing any hassle, you’ll be left to sort out the furnishings for your stunning new living space. The entire process is described in detail on our How It Works page.
Do I Need Planning Permission For My House Extension?
Most dwellings will have permitted development rights intact. This means that, subject to the proposed works, it is often possible to design and build a house extension without the need for full planning permission. Where works would be classed as permitted development, we would apply for an application for a “lawful development certificate” on your behalf. This provides you with written verification from the council that the proposal is lawful.
Generally, a house extension will require planning consent if:
- More than 50% of the curtilage of the property is covered – note that previous extensions, detached garages, sheds etc. must be taken into consideration
- The height of the extension exceeds that of the original dwelling
- The height of the eaves exceed that of the original dwelling
- The house extension is to the front of the property (or side of the property to corner plots)
- The house extension is to the rear of the property and exceeds more than 6m projection for semi-detached or terraced dwellings, and 8m for detached dwellings (notwithstanding the above Notification for Prior Approval guidelines). Single storey rear extensions should be no higher than 4m to the top of the roof from adjoining ground level
- The house extension is within 2m of the boundary, and the eaves more than 3m high
- The house extension is to the side of the property, and more than 4m high, or has more than 1 storey, or is more than half the width of the original property
- Materials to be used on a project should, where possible, match the existing dwelling. Where this is not the case, planning consent may be required
- Two storey rear house extensions can sometimes be permitted development, provided that they do not project more than 3m from the original rear wall of the dwelling, and should be no less than 7m from the opposite boundary.
When determining the width or depth of a proposed house extension, it is important to consider the original building, as existing extensions will need to be taken into consideration.
House Extension Quote
One of the most important questions you’ll have at the beginning of your project, is what the cost of the project will be. As each extension we take on is entirely bespoke and dependent on the space and individual design work, we can provide you with a customised quote suitable for your requirements. Just get in touch with our house extension specialists to find out more.
We also offer construction-only packages if you have already arranged drawings by an independent architect. In this scenario, our house extension team will still offer you a fully project managed and guaranteed package, and can assist with 1st fix (structural only extensions) where needed.
Bigger Homes are the leading provider of house extensions in Essex and would be delighted to transform your home into your dream living space. To obtain an accurate quote for your project, simply fill in our 2 minute House Extension Cost Calculator.
If you have any queries at all or wish to arrange a design appointment, please do not hesitate to get in touch with our house extensions Essex specialists on 01268 553648.
If permitted development rights have been removed from your property, or if the proposed works fall outside of these regulations, then you may require full planning permission which we also take care of.
• The size of the proposed extension
• Whether it is a single or double-storey extension
• The position of the extension in relation to the remainder of your home
• The purpose of your extension, for example if you also need a new kitchen to be fitted
• Your individual finish preferences
Bigger Homes can explore a variety of options for your extension and will work with your budget requirements. We can modify your quote as necessary until you are 100% with the final proposal.
It is difficult to put an exact figure value that an extension could make to your individual property. However, a recent Zopa survey of 1,000 homeowners found that an average extension costing £19,750 would generate a profit of £14,000 from the works. A similar survey conducted by Nationwide found that a double bedroom and en-suite added onto a three-bedroom home could boost the value of the property by 23%.